“When the pores are not clogged with dead cells and the lymphatic system is stimulated and cleansed, all organs in the body are better able to carry out the important function of eliminating toxic waste. Further, it increases blood circulation in all underlying organs and tissues.”
Why dry skin brush – it is a technique that has been used for hundreds of years by Scandinavians and Russians. More than 30 years ago, a Finnish doctor , Paavo Airola, prescribed it for all his patients. It detoxifies the lymph system, exfoliates and stimulates the skin. Skin pores are cleansed of dead skin. Lymph flows. The body eliminates toxins and waste products. The skin is one of the major ways the body detoxifies. It eliminates enormous amounts of waste products on a daily basis. Dry skin brushing works fast to enhance and support the body’s wellbeing.
How to dry skin brush – Always use a soft natural bristle brush. Or a loofah. They are readily available from health food stores. I have even seen them in supermarkets. Wash the brush afterwards in soapy warm water, rinse thoroughly and air dry. It is best not to share brushes with other people.
Brush in small circular motions. Always brush towards your heart except for between the top and bottom of the neck. Brush this area up. Women may find brushing the breasts uncomfortable. It is best to avoid any sensitive areas or broken skin. Dry skin brushing is a fast way to help the body to detox. It’s easy. It feels good. It leaves you with a warm glow and soft skin.
If you are one of the lucky ones to have access to a sauna, try this –
- Dry skin brush before entering the sauna. Stay long enough to break into a full sweat.
- Have a warm shower followed by a quick cold shower.
- Dry all over thoroughly. Dry skin brush again – always towards your heart except for between the bottom and top of your neck. (OR skip the drying bit, instead alternating sauna and showering a few times. It still works but not as thorough.)
- Go back in the sauna and stay until you’re dripping with sweat.
- Dry yourself vigorously , preferable with a rough towel. You will be amazed at how much dead skin still rolls off your body.
- This combination of skin brushing, saunas and showers provides a fantastic waste and toxin elimination for the body.
- Don’t forget to drink plenty of water.
If you don’t have access to a sauna you can still benefit from dry skin brushing. Use a shower instead. Alternate hot and cold shower. Towel dry. Repeat.
**** A word of caution – if you have any health concerns such as high blood pressure consult a medical professional before trying this treatment. Use a gentle approach instead – dry skin brush and warm shower. It is effective. In fact dry skin brushing for five minutes before a daily shower is a great, and easy, health boost.****
© Raili Tanska
Take care of yourself